Competition is held twice each month starting
- 9.00am third Sunday of the month
- 7.00pm third Wednesday of the month
What is Sporting Clays?
Sporting clays is one of the fastest growing clay target shooting events conducted word wide. Targets are set to simulate hunting type situations. (Springing teal, running rabbits, driven grouse, landing ducks to name a few). Whilst participating on a SSAA range, SSAA competition rules apply.
How and when are events run?
SSAA Brisbane conducts a sporting clays event on the third Sunday of each month starting at 9.00am and are generally finished by 3.30pm. It is set up and shot from 5 different stands around the clubs shotgun range. Each stand consists of 5 targets, 3 single targets shot double barrel (2 shots each) and 1 pair (1 shot each). Targets are a mixture of right and left crossers as well as out goers and incomers. Extremely good use is made of our tower and permanent trap fixtures as well as 14 mobile traps. Various coloured and size targets are used (Red, Orange, Green, White, and Yellow). Three rounds of 25 targets are shot on the day (75 targets in total)
Throughout the year several competitions are conducted where trophies are presented to the winners. SSAA National Grading System is used in all competitions (AA, A, B, C and Junior).
- June: Presidents Cup
- July: Annual Side by Side Shoot
- September: Cyril Dewhurst Memorial Shoot
- October: Clem Sorohan Memorial Shoot
- December: Combined Christmas shoot and trophy presentation
Range safety is managed by qualified Range Officer’s who have successfully completed training courses and have been accredited by SSAA Brisbane range management. Whilst on the range you will be required to take safety directions from the duty Range Officer. The Section Shoot Captain coordinates all activities.
What do you need to participate?
To shoot sporting clays you will need to have a 12, 16, 20, 28 gauge or .410 calibre shot gun capable of firing 2 shells, a shooting jacket or bag to carry cartridges in, hearing and eye protection. SSAA range rules also make it mandatory to wear covered in shoes. Shot shells size 6, 7, 7.5, 8 or 9 only are allowed on the range for safety reasons. Loads from 24 gram up to 32gram loads (7/8oz, 1oz & 1 1/8oz)
- Adults - $33.00 18 years and over
- Pensioners - $30.00 Must show Pension Card
- Juniors - $15.00 11 years to 17 years
- Brisbane members with range pass - $23.00
- The costs cover the range user fee and targets.
- Licensed Shooters - To sign on you will need to have your relevant state shooters licence, membership cards are these are required to be shown when signing the Range Register. Competition score cards are completed and signed after each event.
- Unlicensed Shooters - There is provision for unlicensed shooters to participate and you will need to produce current photo id and complete a “form 33” when signing the range register. Unlicensed shooters will be accompanied by one of our Range Officers at all times whilst shooting.